Which comes first, the cabinet or the organizers inside the cabinet?
- If you’re a kitchen cabinet manufacturer, you probably answered: cabinet!
- But if you’re an IKEA kitchen customer, you probably answered: interior organizer.
Not what you expected, right?
It’s almost as if IKEA kitchen customers design their entire kitchen around the interior organizers!
Why Interior Organizers are More Important than Cabinets
We noticed a funny pattern when we were designing IKEA kitchens for our customers. They’d tell us “the Plate Holder will go next to the Pot Lid Organizer, but not too close to the Corner Base Carousel.”
Normally customers will tell their kitchen designer “we want the 24” base cabinet next to the 30” base cabinet, but not too close to the corner cabinet.”
You see the difference.
- The IKEA customer is thinking about the function of the cabinet.
- Whereas a typical kitchen customer will think about the cabinet itself.
Cabinets exist for storage, plain and simple. IKEA customers treat that very seriously. The cabinets are just the means to house the interior organizers.
Our customers will actually go so far as to the number of IKEA food savers, DROPPAR jars and VARIERA trays they’ll use within each interior organizer. That’s how important interior organization is to IKEA kitchen customers.
Other reasons why interior organizers are so important to IKEA kitchen customers:
- IKEA’s showroom displays emphasize their interior organizers
- They’re very well designed
- Quality and pricing are also very good.
It makes sense that our IKD customers want to talk about them more than the cabinets!
Cabinet Organizers Aren’t Just for the Kitchen
A kitchen cabinet organizer isn’t just for the kitchen. It’s also for the garage!
IKEA customers see things a little differently. When they look at IKEA’s options for kitchen organization, they see the possibility to organize that garage once and for all.
- VARIERA spice jars are perfect for storing glue and paint
- RATIONELL flatware trays are ideal for small tools
- FINTORP magnetic knife racks store chisels on the wall and out of the way
IKD’s designers design quite a few garages with IKEA kitchen cabinets. Since it doesn’t matter if the garage cabinets are as beautiful as the kitchen, customers really go for function. Designers have often been given a list of interior organizers and their sizes and told to design the garage cabinets around them!
The Final Word on Interior Organizers
We know IKEA sells more cabinets than other cabinet manufacturers because of the many options for organization within those cabinets. IKEA’s interior organizers actually sell the cabinets, and not the other way around.
IKEA customers don’t just want to organize their kitchens, they want to organize their garages and their home offices and many rooms in their homes. They buy more IKEA kitchen cabinets simply because there’s a place for them in every room in the home.